On January 23, the DCC held our Annual Meeting and 2015 Call to Action in San Leandro, Ca. We were joined by more than 50 members, as well as a diverse, dynamic panel of speakers including:
- La Roux Pendleton, MPH, California Department of Public Health: Burden of Diabetes Report & Updates
- Jose Arévalo, MD & Joan Werblun, RN, DCC Co-Founders: DCC Vision & History
- Susan Lopez-Payan, Public Health Institute: Call to Action for Diabetes Prevention
- Jackie Thompson: Zumba activity
- Mary Jean Christian, MA MBA, R.D., CDE, Chair of the CA-American Association of Diabetes Educators: Diabetes Self-Management Education
- Sarah Fine, UCSF Bigger Picture Project & Mike Lawson, Diabetes Hands Foundation: Using Media to Engage People at Risk for and/or with Diabetes
In just one day, we built relationships and laid the foundation for greater collaborations, learned more about a numbers of areas ranging from policy to direct care, and the realities and actions of people living with and at risk for diabetes. We took great strides and saw that with a group of dedicated volunteers working together, we can have a mighty voice and make big strides!
A big thank you to all our amazing members and speakers who came to the meeting. We are so thrilled and energized from the event and look forward to taking our next steps and moving forward on our action plans for reducing the burden of diabetes in our state’s diverse communities. We are fortunate to have a coalition with the enthusiasm and expertise of everyone who was there (and there in spirit). Together we will change the impact of diabetes in California!