Introductory Letter (revised June 2012)
Table of Contents (revised June 2012)
We are pleased to present the BASIC GUIDELINES FOR DIABETES CARE, developed by local and national diabetes experts, are consistent with the American Diabetes Association’s Clinical Practice Recommendations. * Please note that the following contents may be reproduced with the following citation:
“Developed by the Diabetes Coalition of California and the California Diabetes Program, revised June 2012.”
- Basic Guidelines for Diabetes Care and Notes (revised 2012)
- Therapy for Glycemic Control of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults and Notes (revised October 2011)
- Algorithm for Prediabetes Identification and Intervention in Adults (revised November 2011)
- Screening and Initial Management of Diabetic Microalbuminuria and Nephropathy and Notes (revised August 2011)
- Foot Care for People with Diabetes (revised August 2011)
- Diabetes Foot Exam (revised November 2011)
- Diabetes Eye Exam Consultation Request and Report (revised November 2011)
- Oral Healthcare for People with Diabetes (revised October 2015)
- Lipid Management in Adults with Diabetes and Notes (revised January 2012)
- Diabetes Flow Sheet (revised June 2012)
- Selected References for Diabetes Care (revised August 2012)
- Tips for Achieving a Healthy Weight (revised February 2016)
The Basic Guidelines serve as a framework for developing diabetes care programs aimed at reducing the personal and societal impact of diabetes. For over 15 years health plans and medical groups throughout California have adopted them to assure improved outcomes for their patients with diabetes. References are individually rated by experts. The Basic Guidelines Packet is updated regularly and may be downloaded at diabetescoalitionofcalifornia.org. All materials may be reproduced with the citation noted on the bottom of each page. To support implementation of the Guidelines, the following are also available:
- Diabetes Health Record, a self-management tool for patients available in 19 languages.
- Take Charge 2012, a PowerPoint presentation for patients.
The Guidelines and supporting materials are products of the Diabetes Coalition of California an independent, not-for-profit organization working to improve the lives of people with diabetes. To learn how you can become a member of the Diabetes Coalition of California visit diabetescoalitionofcalifornia.org.